« Home | A Missive » | Eulogy for Lime » | Frustrations » | Memorial » | The Origin of Love » | Slightly Unexpected » | Νόστοι » | Bring out your dead...not all at once please. » | On Weddings » | Rastenfeld (circa 1253), the dullest place on earth »

Living Dangerously

A terrible shame, but I missed William's invitation, allowing that dealing with any miscreants tied to Rastenfeld should best be left far alone. And it seems I was right. On Saturday, a bearded muscle-bound thug broke down the door to my room, accompanied by a tall thin man with dark hair, parted straight down the middle. I had, of course, camouflaged myself against the horrid floral wallpaper the moment I had heard the heavy boots pause outside. Though in retrospect, guh ex would have sufficed and with less expenditure of precious mana and considerably less embarrassment to me to have a bevy of flower assortments across my person, but live and learn I say.
To their eyes, the room would have seemed recently abandoned; the slender one nevertheless ordered the big man to give it a good tossing, riffling through my notes, flipping my bed, and I thanked Hermes again for my brilliant insight into stashing what remains of my wand and vial outside of the city.
I've since taken the precaution of changing inn establishments four times this week. And during that time I accomplished a fair bit of reconnaissance (dare I say snooping?) around town at various locations (especially the land holding office) and I've turned up some interesting information. It struck me as odd that although the silver in the town has dried up, one company was currently aquiring all of the rights to the mines. After some digging and coin dropping (gold will loosen the most stubborn tongues for most venal hearts) I discovered that one of the shareholders of this mysterious company is none other than William Dovetail. What should I do with this information? Well that is a question isn't it...How about staying as clear from these crazed time-travelers? Sounds like a plan.
As of this entry I have only 34 days until my return to Legend and my wife's warm embrace. Why chance an encounter with these people. No one is sick or dying, there are no undead roaming the streets; there is simply no reason to get involved.
So I snubbed their invitation: what harm could it do? Another room tossing? I'm shaking in my boots. I laugh in the face of danger: Ha ha ha! I bite my thumb at it; I shake my foot at it; I waggle a toe at it.
34 days and I am home.

P.S.
As a precaution, I've set the Hermetic Index to autopost should I miss a week or two because I'm hiding out, and I'm 98% certain I got the runes right for the instructions. Woot!